Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Freezer Paper and Felt, oh my!



If you make anything with felt and don't know about using freezer paper for cutting small bits and pieces, you are missing out on a technique that makes the task so easy. Freezer paper had been on my radar for a couple of craft techniques which I had read about on one blog or another, so I had bought a roll to have on hand when the spirit moved me. (You do that too, don't you?)

The "gal who has a thing for giraffes" (Miss B henceforth) was here for Valentine's weekend and had a project on her agenda. She had been planning a baby shower for her sister and needed to make eight double-sided felt owls to sit on the diaper centerpieces. Miss B was sitting at the mezzanine deciding which owl pattern to use, with her bag of felt and supplies at her side, when I noticed what she was doing. I asked a few questions, offered some unsolicited advice (actually butting in) and we were off.

Once the particular owl was chosen, the circles for the eyes could be die cut using the Sizzix, saving quite a bit of time. The large pieces were easily hand cut, but the feet and the nose . . . oh my. Drawing small shapes onto felt for cutting is not an easy task.

 I thought a bit and the freezer paper sitting on the shelf sailed into my head . . . so I took a junket into cyberspace to find instructions.  A very clear "how-to" can be found HERE on Betz White's blog.  Tracing the feet and noses onto the freezer paper and ironing the paper onto the felt made the felt more stable. Cutting around the paper was easy and more accurate than if drawn onto the felt.  Plus the same paper shape could be ironed on to the felt multiple times. It is magic!

Once the parts were all cut, the bodies were fused together using Heat'nBond Ultra Hold iron-on adhesive, which provided a bit of stiffness to the body so it wouldn't flop over. A channel was left between the layers (under the nose) for a stick so the owl would stand upright on top of the diapers.

Then the wings, eyes, nose and feet were glued on and they sat overnight to dry.
Cute, aren't they?




Here's one fellow I flew over to the dining room table for a closer look. 





Miss B sent a photo of the finished centerpieces on the shower day . . . very effective with the striped ribbons, don't you think?  Fabulous centerpieces for a little baby boy shower. :-)





Freezer paper and felt . . . don't forget!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I've been reminiscing a bit  - on this day in 1919, my mother, Ann, was born.  It's been 13 years that she has been gone  . . .  a few images from the vault . . .


Ann as a single gal in the 1940's . . . reminds me of a gangster moll . . .
Ann as a mom . . . Christmas 1955 

Ann with Dad (mid-1980's)



No comments:

Post a Comment