Saturday, January 31, 2015

Lotions and potions and cardboard tubes

The array of skincare products on my shelf have been driving me crazy.  They are wonderful products (and thanks to my friend, Robin, for introducing me to them) but  . . . they are packaged in containers with a small footprint and continually fall over on the shelf.  Grrrr . . .

So I made something . . . 

I happened across a cardboard lid (in the recycling bin) that fit perfectly in my cabinet. I stood the uncooperative products in cardboard tubes (toilet paper tubes, to be exact) in the lid to determine how tall they needed to be. I wanted to be able to identify the products and to retrieve them readily.


After cutting the tubes to size, I glued them to each other and to the sides of the box with a hot glue gun.  The assemblage seemed pretty stable so I didn't need to use any glue on the bottom of the tubes.

  
Then it was off to the basement for some spray painting.  I hadn't thought much about embellishing the lotion and potion corral, but knew I wanted it to be all the same color. I had matte white and glossy white spray paint on the shelf - so matte white it was.

 


It took three coats to make the various shades of cardboard white and I was wanting this project to be finished. The edges of each tube and the base were wrapped with Ranger tissue tape in a dictionary page motif.   Since tissue tape won't stick to itself, I coated it with Mod Podge to adhere the overlapping edges and seal it all.



Voila! The finished lotion and potion holder.




And since I had everything needed to make it, the cost was $0.00. What could be better?

Here's a view of  this organizer in my bathroom cabinet. I just take it out, use the products and back it goes. I am quite pleased.



The lotion and potion corral keeps everything upright, has a footprint that fits in the cabinet, and makes my morning routine so much simpler.  It's a good thing. :-)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment