Friday, August 28, 2015

What's up with the girls?

I haven't mentioned my 18" girls in a while . . . well, they are excited to be going back to school and to see their friends.  They have new comfortable outfits suitable for sitting on the floor or at a desk and for moving around on the playground. My good intentions of sewing spectacular clothes for them were supplanted by the lure of the golf course, so I did some Etsy shopping. Here they are - all dolled up and posed in Annie's wing chair: Molly, Eva, and Marie-Grace are standing, while Caroline and Nellie sit.


Two outfits were chosen from Circle C Sewing (the navy/pink stripe and the pink/white dot) and the other three were purchased from Unending Treasures. I was pleased with the construction of all of the pieces, but I am not wild about the velcro closures that are standard issue on most 18" doll clothing.  The stuff gets caught in the dolls' hair. Sigh. But I understand it's done so little girls can dress their dolls easily. 

Just a FYI, there are vendors on Etsy who make couture and period clothing for 18" dolls - aimed at adult collectors - gorgeous garments in fabulous fabrics with real fasteners - and the prices rival those of adult clothing. Some of these garments are spectacular. But back to reality . . .

Once the clothes arrived and were tried on, I had to readjust my plans for which gal would wear what.  I bought the navy stripe for Eva, but she has such broad shoulders (from Cross-Fit), the top was way too snug. And it was borderline on the AG girls. Actually, this top would fit only Caroline well - her Madame Alexander body is slimmer than the three AG gals and Eva's Our Generation shape. So Eva wears the confetti outfit, which fits her body but not her tomboy personality. However, she loves the lime green leggings and her fish necklace.

Speaking of necklaces . . . Nellie is wearing her original American Girl heart necklace, but the other girls didn't have necklaces so . . . I made one for each of them using some supplies I unearthed from my short-lived jewelry-making phase. The beach-themed necklaces add a bit of pizazz to the outfits - Eva's is fishy, Caroline was partial to the sand dollar, Molly chose a scallop shell and Marie-Grace liked the starfish. I did have some supplies remaining and made a few additional necklaces with magnetic closures that I'll be selling. Exactly where, I'm undecided. :-)



Sweet Caroline
Nellie
Eva
Marie-Grace

Molly

Cheers til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment